Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January Challenge + some changes!

Hi everyone!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! I hope you all had a great time, and as we are a little ahead of everyone here in Australia everything is kind of over for us now. LOL! Its already the morning of the 1st of January and we are all pretty much recovering already. 

Well what better way to kick things off with a brand new challenge, our first for this year!!! I played around with the blog template a little bit just to start the new year fresh. Hope you like it. 

Thank you to everyone who played along with our last challenge! It was SUCH A busy month but so many of you found the time to enter. Thank you. Our Design Team will vote and we will have the winners announced as soon as possible!

I sure hope to keep on bringing you more and more. I really want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for embracing Once Upon A..Sketch and helping  this little idea of mine blossom. I truly and honestly could not have continued this long if I didn't see the awesome number of people tuning in every month providing us with amazing entries, incredible blogs to visit, stories and so much more! So THANK YOU all so much for your loyalty and participation. If it were not for you, we would not have the wonderful atmosphere we have here and all I really wish for is to continue through for a lot longer. 

So, we have 1 major change here starting from this year. Due to time commitments and trying to juggle a life with 2 little kids etc AND try and give 100% here I have decided to only have 1 reveal from now each each month. Up to now, we still had just the one challenge per month but we had split the team in 2 and Team A had a reveal on the 1st and Team B on the 15th. There were also other posts going up for sponsors etc etc etc so all that was kind of stressful as if you know me a little you would know I do not do anything half hearted. Its all or nothing with me and I was really worried about getting posts out. 

SO our team is still split in 2 and they have kindly agreed to take turns in reveals in each month. So for example half of the team will have a reveal in January and the other half in February and so on. Thanks team!!!

But the most important change is one you need to REALLY take note of. Our challenges have always ended on the last day of the month but that is changing as of this month. Our challenges will now end on the 25th of each month to give us enough time to vote and announce the winners before the new challenges go up on the 1st of each month. Please do remember that Sydney is MANY hours ahead of most of the world and your layout MUST be linked up by midnight 26th! SO please do take note of the new due date!

OK, enough talking let's get on with our first challenge of the year. 




Theme: "The start of something new" 

The new year is among us. What better way to celebrate change, renewed hope and having a positive attitude than with a brand new year? A new start...a new horizon and the start of something new! A new year is full of possibilities. So in honor of the start of 2013, we would like you to create a layout and interpret the theme "The start of something new..." however you like. Whatever that sentence inspires you to scrap then go for it. 

Ideas for journalling: Include the theme sentence as your title, a new job coming up or the beginning of a new job and in the past and what it meant to you, a child's new toy, a new house you are building/moving in to or one you have moved in already, a new year and what it means to you, a new attitude, the start of a new school year, a new relationship - yours, a family members, your child's, a new friendship, new wardrobe, new diet, new phone, new haircut...


Your layout must incorporate this theme and the sketch below. 

Please make sure that we see some sort of journalling on your layouts and please tell us where your journalling is . You are allowed to journal in any language but please tell us where on your page we will find your journalling. Remember journalling has to be a bit more than a title, or a generic comment. Hidden journalling is perfectly fine.



It is with great pleasure that I announce this month's Guest Designer. This talented and very creative person personally inspires me to get crafting with each project that she makes and I am so happy she is here with us this month. 


Hi! My name is Natasha & I’m the mother of two wonderful children & the wife of an amazing, supportive man. I am a floral designer by day and a scrapbook designer by night. I first discovered my love for scrapbooking in 2004 but was unable to scrap because I was a single mother at the time. For years I was unable to craft, but my passion for it never faded. I married my soulmate in 2010 and my husband inspired and encouraged me to start creating. If it weren’t for him, I would have never been able to begin doing what I love. As for my scrapping style... well, I don’t know how to categorize my style LOL. I just create using products I love. I love to incorporate different techniques in my work and use a variety of elements. Every day I am inspired by the work and talent of others, and I hope to be able to inspire others with my work as well. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and visit! :o) xoxo My Blog: www.moments-of-tranquility.com My Gallery: www.moments-of-tranquility-gallery.com  My Shop: http://www.moments-of-tranquility-shop.com/



Now here is what Natasha created for our January challenge...


Now please welcome our winner from our November challenge, who has a very beautiful style as well ...
Jess Mackenzie (Australia)




Hiya! My name is Jess Mackenzie & I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be a guest designer here at OUAS! I am a mum of one 4 year old boy Elijah & wife to a rather understanding hubby Tavis. I am a stay at home mum who has not long ago started a wee business where I sell handmade goodies at local markets & online. I have always been crafty & enjoy lots of crafty hobbies like sewing, painting, journalling & of course scrapbooking. I have been scrapbooking for a little over 3 years now and I just LOVE it. I love how it is such a versatile hobby which you really can make your own. I would say my style involves a lot of layers, paints, messiness & random bits and bobs. I really hope you enjoy this challenge as much as I have! Love and Peace xox








Now here is what our Design Team came up with. Please click on their blogs for more details on their creations. I am sure they would love to hear from you !!!



Svetlana Austin (South Africa)
** Imaginarium Design chipboard letters












Florence Teixeira - France 
"On this year, I will cook!"

*Hidden journalling under the spoon.
*Hidden journalling on back of layout*


Georgia Heald - (Australia)
*Maja Design Vintage Summer Basics Paper - 1946

*Hidden journalling under shipping tag


Cathy Cafun (Australia) 

*Maja Design Walking in the Forest & Crea Diem papers 
** Imaginarium Design Tinies Cogs and Steampunk Clock


*Maja Design patterned paper 
** Imaginarium Design chipboard letters


** Imaginarium Design chipboard frames






Anna Zaprzelska (Poland)
**Journaling on the back of the layout



Renata Moni (Brazil)
** Imaginarium Design chipboard flourishes

**Hidden Journaling on the folded paper with the roses.


**Hidden journaling on tag behind bottom photo**

**Pink ribbon from Scrapbook Fantasies**





The winner of this challenge as voted by the Design Team will win the prize from our main sponsor and also be invited to come back in March as our Guest Designer.



Our new sponsor for the month of January

Deer & Fawns Designs is an online store that offers heaps of Handmade goodies…. Scrapbooking Embellies, Gifts, Jewellery and much more
We are constantly adding to our releases and some are limited and once they are sold out they are not re stocked.
We have some AMAZING new products in store for 2013 such as J Crochet Baby goodies, more handmade scrapbooking supplies & also more Washi Tape designs…..
Make sure you like and follow us on facebook and also become a follower of our blog to see some inspiration from our DT with projects listed regularly for you to see.


Deer & Fawn Designs is donating this beautiful kit for our January winner...




Here are our permanent sponsors for 2013 and the prizes they are kindly donating. 


Imaginarium Designs chipboard, is donating a chipboard pack full of their newest releases valued at AU$50.00 , with free domestic and international shipping 


Scraps of Elegance kit club is donating their main kit valued at US$35.95 value, with free Priority shipping within the USA, or free First Class shipping for international winners!


The Flying Unicorn online store and kit club, is donating a US$25.00 gift voucher to spend at their store with freedomestic and international shipping ! 


Julia Cotrim Scrapbooking is donating a patterned paper and canvas collection with free domestic and international shipping 


Sassy Scrappers is donating a AUS$25.00 prize pack with free domestic and international shipping 


Scrapbooking Fantasies is donating a ribbon pack  for 2 winners valued at over AU$10.00 each plus with free domestic and international shipping 

Njoyfull Crafts is donating one of the above prize packs or similar valued at AU$20.00 with free domestic and international shipping 


Get Creative Embellishments is donating a prize pack valued at 15.00 Euro,  shipped free anywhere in the world

SA Crafters is donating a prize pack valued at US$15.00 , shipped anywhere in the world. 



Have fun everyone and GOOD LUCK!!

Please remember the new deadline for this challenge is midnight January 25th Australian Eastern Standard Time . 

10 comments:

  1. A brilliant change I would say, Nadia!! Two thumbs up for you and the team. I am happy that I witnessed the born of OUAS and seeing it prospers make me smile. You have done a good job. I know you, it's either all or nothing. A quality of successful people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful work of designers! Good luck in the new year for OUAS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome challenge as always Nadia! Wishing you a fantastic 2013! I hope all your dreams and wishes are right at your finger tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what stunning designs these are from both the Guest Designers - Natasha and Jess and the amazing Design Team. Fabulous creations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my what beautiful inspiration from both Guest Designers and the talented Design Team!! Here's to a wonderful 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspiring batch of layouts again this month!!! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore reveal day - gorgeous work ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parabéns pelas páginas lindas e inspiradoras!
    O sketch está lindo! Já fiz minha página meninas:
    http://nadafubanga.blogspot.com.br/2013/01/primeira-pagina-de-2013.html
    bjkas
    Paty Molina

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much inspiration for a great January challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your write-up. One other thing is the fact individual American states have their unique laws that will affect householders, which makes it quite hard for the the nation's lawmakers to come up with a different set of recommendations concerning property foreclosures on people. The problem is that every state possesses own legislation which may interact in a damaging manner on the subject of foreclosure insurance policies.

    ReplyDelete